International Transportation of Pets

We are federally accredited to provide International Health Certification for your pet. Please review the information below and call us at 973-992-8888 with any questions or to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians.

  1. It is beyond the scope of our hospital to maintain a current set of pet travel requirements for every country in the world, nor is it practical for our staff to acquire such information on an as needed basis because it is very time consuming.

  2. Failure to properly meet the standards set by the destination country may result in a fine, additional veterinary fees, or forced pet quarantine for up to and possibly exceeding 6 months—all at the pet owner’s expense.

  3. There are very stringent requirements for the travel of pets to foreign countries. These requirements can change without warning due to the presence or threat of contagious diseases. The USDA (Robbinsville, NJ, 609-259-5260) and the Embassy of the destination country are the only proper sources of required pet travel information and documents. Please do not rely on information from your travel agent, airline, friends, etc. for this material.

  4. With the exception of the APHIS Form 7001, all documents must be provided to us by the pet owner. Our veterinarians will perform a physical examination of your pet, and provide the necessary medications/deworming/vaccinations/microchip/blood testing as dictated by the information/documents provided to us by the pet owner. Please provide all of this information and all necessary documents to our office a minimum of 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.

  5. Allow for sufficient time to fulfill all the requirements as many of the tests are performed by outside laboratories (i.e. Rabies titers), and there are specific time schedules for the administration of vaccines and medications that must be adhered to. In addition, once our veterinarians have performed a physical exam and filled out the appropriate paperwork, the Health Certificates for international travel typically require endorsement by a USDA Official in Robbinsville, NJ. Please be aware that our staff plays no role in the implementation of these rules, and has no authority to alter or overrule them under any circumstances.

  6. Veterinarians must be Federally Accredited to legally write an International Health Certificate, and their accreditation can be jeopardized if the document is found to be incomplete or erroneous. If the standards have not, or can not be met, our veterinarians will not be able to provide a Health Certificate for international travel. If you have any further questions, please call us at 973-992-8888.

Download the International Transportation of Pets information and disclaimer here.